Monday 18 November 2013

Representations for my MUSIC MAGAZINE.

REPRESENTATION ISSUES TO CONSIDER

•As you develop your research and ideas you will need to consider the representations exist within existing products and the representations that you will construct in your own products:

Representation in the media is concerned with how individual and groups of people, events and ideas are presented to audiences. What we see, hear and read in the media is a re-presentation of a subject it is not a real version of events it is constructed. Even a live broadcast is a representation, because you only see what is filmed by the camera operator. As a media studies student, it is important that you are able to identify and understand these representations in the products and texts that you analyse and that you construct.

•You must show evidence of considering these representations in your own work and using them to construct your products and texts if you are to reach the higher grades.

_____________________________________________________________________________

For my music magazine:

I will be constructing representations for gender, age, race and genre. 
I will represent both men, women and different races however, I will try to make my magazine gender neutral, because the majority of the bands in the genre alternative rock are predominantly white and male. 


In the genre alternative rock women and men are represented as quite punk and non mainstream. Both men and women are equal when clothing is represented, for example by wearing  non conventional clothing such as leather jackets and trousers,and what mainstream stylists would class as ''miss-matching'' top and bottoms with non conventional hair stylings, such as a ''bowl hair cut''. In addition to this the artists are quite young between the ages of 16-30.



This will mean I will not for example be presenting old men over the age of 75, who look frail and weak dressed in a suit and tie, because there are no bands with old men who are over the age of 75 with good manners and braces.  I will have to represent females and males, of a younger  aging with an alternative fashion sense. However I will have to present artists over 30 because there are popular groups / artists of that age group.

Age is represented in different ways in the music industry. For example the 16-30's are seen as young, fresh and popular, where-as the older generation are seen to have more experience, even more so if they have had a longer career so are usually respected more. 

Religion isn't represented at all in alternative rock, possibly due to the artists either not having religious beliefs or not wanting to sing about their religion. And if they wanted to sing about their religion, they wouldn't be an alternative rock group / artist.

Due to this I won't be representing any specific religion. 

The artists I will represent will predominantly be young ( between the ages of 16-30 ) due to the fact that all the artists that are popular at the moment are in that age group. Because they are young I will represent them as fresh and energetic. I will make them appeal to my audience by the use of clothing and the genre of music the artists will play.

>Bastille
>The Killers
>The 1975
>Imagine Dragons
>The Lumineers
>Fall Out Boy
>Artic Monkeys
>London Grammar
>Red Hot Chilli Peppers
>Coldplay
>Lana Del Rey
>Kings Of Leon
>Of Monsters & Men
>Kodaline
>Mumford & Sons
>Bombay Bicyle Club
>MGMT
>Arcade Fire
>Muse
>Paramore
>Foster The People
>Florence & The Machine
>30 Seconds To Mars
>AWOLNATION
>Busted
>You Me At Six
>Oasis
>The Beatles
>David Bowie
>Queen
>Nirvana
>The XX

All of these artists feature in the recent Alternative / Rock charts. I will take the representations from these artists and incorporate them into my magazine. They are all seen as 'punk' or 'indie', with a different fashion sense. My audience who will be aged between 16-25 will like artists such as the ones listed above
___________________________________________________________________

I have chosen to my music magazines genre to be alternative rock / pop. This is because the majority of music I listen to is within this genre. I enjoy listening to the music and I'm familiar with the genre and know I could produce a music magazine based on the genres. My audience will niche audience, but there is a large following of alternative rock music.


I have chosen my audience to be between 16-25 because the genre 'alternative rock' won't appeal to younger children at the ages of 7 for example, due to the fact that conventionally children of that age prefer music that is quite up-beat and pop-sounding, where-as alternative rock can sometimes be the opposite

My magazine will focus on up-coming and present artists, with popular artists from the 1990's for example.

My selected audience shop in shops like Urban Outfitter, Cow, Top Shop and River Island. They will wear things like Skinny Jeans, Converses, Shirts over T-shirts, Over-Sized Jumpers, Band T-shirts, Denim / Leather Jackets, Shorts etc...
I will advertise the shops / clothing they tend to wear, to make it more appealing to my audience. Also I will advertise new technology such as latest phone models.  

My audience will be people who spend their time going to concerts, listening to music, and spending time with their friends, therefore able to discuss what they've heard or read

No comments:

Post a Comment